Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Take a Trip Tuesday Ended with a Trip to the ER

Yesterday afternoon I was cleaning, Job was napping and the 3 older kiddos were playing outside.  Jadyn brought Gabe in screaming. I've never heard him scream like that before.  He was holding his wrist and wouldn't calm down.  I couldn't figure out what happened.  Jadyn said he was running and jumping around the yard being silly and then started screaming.  Gabe finally calmed down and said he jumped and fell on his arm.  I knew pretty quickly that we needed to get him to the ER cause something was probably broken.  Thankfully, my sis-in-law was able to watch the 3 kids with limbs still in tact and I drove Gabe to the hospital.

He was so sad on the way there.  Every bump I drove over hurt his arm.  I slammed on my brakes once and he said "Mommy!!!" I apologized and said the guy in front of me slammed on his brakes. His response: "He's a bad man.  Where is the police who is going to get him."

We made it to the ER and didn't have to wait too long.  Thankfully, they have a children's ER which was awesome!  I was very impressed with them!

Gabe was so brave!  The nurse gave him a sling and ice to help his arm feel better and got some medicine in him.  The doctor came and said that they were going to send him for X-rays.

Here he was still in a lot of pain waiting for his ride to the x-ray room.  Thankfully Wild Kratts was on TV and that kept his mind off the pain for a little bit. 
He was so excited when the nurse told him his bed was going to turn into a roller coaster and take him to the X-ray room!  He loved the "secret doors" they had to go through and was so excited to be on a bed that had wheels.
The X-ray was a bit tough.  It hurt to hold his arm a certain way, but he was so brave.  They gave him a Dora sticker after it was all over.  (They were out of all super hero stickers).
The doctor came in after seeing the x-ray and said that they couldn't see a fracture, but the growth plate probably is fractured which doesn't show on x-rays.  They treat it like a fracture so he would have to have a cast.
A nurse let him pick out a movie while he waited.  He chose Shrek.
The orthopedic tech came in and asked what color cast he wanted. Gabe wanted yellow, but they didn't have yellow so he chose - purple!  We were laughing so hard.  So he got a "cool-purple" cast!

He was pretty excited about his cast!
After he got his cast and a new sling, his nurse gave him a popsicle while we waited to be discharged.  And another nurse came in with some Spiderman stickers for him.

A happy patient.
Gabe was excited to get home and show his cast to his brothers and sister!  When we finally got everyone home Jadyn had a gift for Gabe.
The first thing Gabe said this morning was "I have a broken arm."  He keeps showing it to our dog Streak saying, "Streak, I have a broken arm."  He's been a little frustrated eating, playing, and coloring with his left hand only.  He keeps saying, "I can't do it. I only have one arm cause I have a broken arm."
The kids got excited when I asked if they wanted to sign Gabe's cast. Mj went first.
Jadyn wanted to write a book. She was content writing her name with a heart and I Love You.
Our signatures. Later Gabe wanted me to write Job's name and Streak's name.
Jadyn wants a cast, too but she does not want a broken arm.  She's enjoyed wearing the sling around when Gabe's not wearing it.
This has been Gabe most of the day today... Watching TV, with his arm on a pillow, with ice, and Streak by his side.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails